Here at Feel Rite, we’re a bunch of ‘bucha loving Buffalonians, and not just because it’s fun to say. While Kombucha seems to be a newcomer to the Buffalo health food scene, it has been a “thing” for over 2,000 years- dating back to the Ancient Chinese who called it “The Immortal Health Elixir” because of its nutritious properties. Two thousand years later and a few thousand miles away- we’ve got several amazing brands and flavors, even some local stuff on tap! We’ve been getting a ton of questions about Kombucha lately, so let’s talk a bit about what it is, where it comes from, and why Feel Rite loves it.
What is Is?
Kombucha is typically fermented black tea often sweetened with cane sugar, honey or fruit. It’s naturally bubbly, tangy, and a little sweet (think: club soda meets flavored tea with a little extra tang).
Meeting Mother: How It’s Made
Kombucha’s seems pretty magical, but you’ll be happy to know that it’s simply and naturally made. Similar to beer or wine, Kombucha making capitalizes around the fermentation process— without it, Kombucha would just be tea with fruit.
Fermentation occurs after a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast (a SCOBY) is introduced into the brewed tea. SCOBY is often called ‘Mother’ because of it’s ability to reproduce its molecules as it sits in the tea over time. Yes, those offspring molecules are referred to as “babies”. After Mother is introduced, all that’s left to do is wait for the fermentation process to occur, which seems to take around a week. After that, it’s cooled and consumed.
Why We Love Kombucha
- It’s great for your digestive system. Kombucha is high in enzymes that help break down food. For those looking for another way to get some essential probiotics, look no further, it has four major strands that help with digestion.
- It helps with immunity. The antioxidants and vitamin C in Kombucha are great for ridding your body of free radicals. There is even a study that shows ‘bucha as a great preventative measure for warding off and recovering from cancer. President Ronald Reagan allegedly drank it every day to recover from stomach cancer.
- It gives you energy. When the black tea ferments, it forms iron that fights fatigue. Kombucha is also slightly caffeinated and has plenty of B vitamins to boost your metabolism.
- It’s a great detoxifier. Kombucha contains Gluconic acid that binds to toxins in the liver and expels them from the body.
- Great for your joints. This wonder beverage even has glucosamine, which aids the production of synovial hyaluronic acid production that preserves collagen and lubricates joints.
- It can help you shed the pounds! Just like apple cider vinegar, Kombucha is high in acetic acid as well as polyphenols, both are proven to aid in weight loss.
Sold yet? If not, come by any of our Feel Rite Fresh Markets locations and try it for yourselves! We have several brands in our refrigerator sections, and are proud to be one of the first stores in Buffalo to have ‘bucha on tap! Enjoy buffalo local Bootleg Bucha on tap, Buffalo’s first kombucha brewery. We are always more than happy to give samples!